Applications for the 2020-21 academic season will open in October 2019.
All orchestral instrument fellowships (including Piano) except Percussion and Timpani:
- You may apply online at https://app.getacceptd.com/nws. Non-refundable application fees and deadlines are as follows: $75.00 for completed applications submitted no later than December 6, 2019, $105.00 for completed applications submitted no later than December 18, 2019, $140.00 for completed applications submitted no later than January 6, 2020 and $175.00 for completed applications submitted no later than January 16, 2020, which will be the final deadline.
- Applications consist of the application form, a video (featuring a solo and three contrasting excerpts), and an application fee. Musicians who are currently designated as substitutes need not upload a video but most pay a non-refundable application fee of $30.00. The final deadline for musicians on NWS’ substitute list will be no later than January 16, 2020.
- In addition, musicians who are currently designated as substitutes for the 2019-20 academic year will automatically remain on the substitute list for the 2020-21 academic year. If you are only interested in remaining on NWS’s substitute list but are not interested in a fellowship, it is not necessary to audition during the 2020 Winter Audition Tour.
- After the NWS audition panel reviews your application you may be invited to a live audition during the National Audition Tour.
- During the National Audition Tour, walk-in auditions are not permitted.
- Only musicians currently enrolled in or recently graduated from a degree program will be considered for live auditions. You can audition for the New World Symphony at any time during your studies, but you cannot be considered for a NWS fellowship until you have completed your present course of study. A baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree or the equivalent is required of all NWS Fellows. Doctoral students must have completed their residency requirements to be considered for a fellowship. All new Fellows must have transcripts of their most recent degree sent to NWS. You are not required to have your bachelor’s degree in music in order to apply.
- Repertoire requirements for live auditions can be found here. NWS will not provide copies of audition excerpts or solos.
- Accompanists are not permitted at your audition.
- All auditions and interviews are video recorded for later review by the NWS audition committee. Videos remain the sole property of NWS.
- All audition results will be given by e-mail no later than April 1, 2020.
- Fellowships are awarded on a season-by-season basis for up to three years with the understanding that participation in the program is subject to ongoing review by the Artistic Director, Provost and other members of the faculty and staff.
- A live audition is required in order to be considered for a fellowship.
Please Note: “No-shows” will not be allowed to audition at a later date without approval from the Director of Admissions.
Percussionists and Timpanists
Timpani and percussion auditions are scheduled separately and are held at the New World Center in Miami Beach. No prescreening video is required. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be notified the next time timpani or percussion auditions are scheduled.
The New World Symphony offers a one-year conducting fellowship to highly qualified conductors who have finished at least a bachelor’s degree and are not currently enrolled in a degree program. The conducting fellow works with Michael Tilson Thomas and many visiting guest conductors and leads the NWS in several of the season’s concerts and reading sessions. The deadline for applications for fellowships beginning in September 2020 is November 15, 2019. You may apply online at https://app.getacceptd.com/nws. The application will consist of:
- Three essay questions and a current resume.
- A video showing you conducting music in rehearsal and/or performance preferably from a variety of musical periods and, if possible, a variety of ensemble sizes.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- A non-refundable application fee of $75.00.
Audio Engineering Fellowship
Currently, New World Symphony has no opening for an Audio Engineer Fellow but you may add your name to our contact list by emailing email@example.com and you will be notified the next time the fellowship becomes available.
Currently, New World Symphony has no opening for a Library Fellow but you may add your name to our contact list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be notified the next time the fellowship becomes available.
Foreign Nationals living within the USA
In addition to your application, resume, essays and application fee, please provide photocopies of the following documents:
- Passport page(s) containing date of birth, country or city of birth, country of citizenship, and foreign address.
- ONE of the following documents (as applicable):
- I-20 from the school or institution you are attending
- Permanent Residency Card (“Green Card”)
- Employment Authorization Card
Due to the difficulty in obtaining visiting artist visas on short notice, foreign nationals living outside the U.S. will not be invited to substitute with NWS. Foreign nationals living within the U.S. who substitute with NWS will be required to show proof of eligibility to receive stipend.
Fellows who are non-resident aliens temporarily present in the US may be subject to mandatory withholding on the value of their stipend, electronic media guarantee, travel grant and housing. For fellows here on an F-1, J-1, M-1, Q-1, or Q-2 visa, the withholding rate is 14%; however, a tax treaty with the fellow’s home country may eliminate the mandatory withholding requirement depending on the length of time the fellow has been in the US. Absent a treaty exemption the withholding rate is 30% for non-resident aliens in any other immigration status. Each year fellows who are non-resident aliens are required to certify their status by completing Forms 8233 and W8-BEN and the information will be used by NWS to determine applicability of treaty benefits and withholding requirements. At the end of each calendar year NWS will issue a Form 1042-S to any non-resident alien subject to withholding and recipients may be able to obtain a refund from the IRS subject to their individual tax filing.